My brother and I are great at playing ping pong! Well, if you get points for bouncing the ball off walls and ceilings, anyway. We once played such an epic game, that he sent it flying over the balcony! Everyone thought it was over, but he said “No, wait for it…” Then we heard the soft, melodious, and awe-inspiring sound of the ball bouncing down the stairs. I made it to the bottom of the stairs just in time to send it back into play! Now if that isn’t great, I don’t know what is!
Okay, okay, I’ll say it. We suck at ping pong. But through our experiences we have come up with our “Extreme Ping Pong rules”, which are as follows:
- It’s all good until the ball stops bouncing.
- 5 second rule: If the ball stops bouncing for less than 5 seconds, and you get it back, the game is still on. (Only counts when the ball is not on the floor/carpet/ground)
- Points are awarded for hitting windows, walls, ceilings, and other household objects, as well as for getting it inside bags or hitting it over balconies, as long as ball is still in play (refer to rule #1).
- You may play with the wall behind your opponent, as long as other rules are still followed.
- Extra points for hitting the ball off someone’s head, as long as it is still in play.
- Extra points for hitting it behind you, off the wall behind your head, as long as it goes back on the table.
- Extra points if the ball lands in a tree or a bag, as long as the 5 second rule is followed and the ball is bounced as quickly as possible back onto the table/wall/heads of the people you are playing with.
- You may use your hands or any other part of your body to keep the ball in play. You may momentarily stop the ball by catching it in your shirt/pants, as long as the 5 second rule is still followed.
So…who wants to play a game of extreme ping pong!? ;D
Here is a video of our first game of ping pong from January 2015. I meant to upload the video a long time ago, but just realized I never did. So I had to do that. And since I had to do that, I also decided to write this post, using the ‘rules’ we invented during our family Arizona trip last year (hence the balcony mentioned in the above ‘rules’…my house doesn’t actually have a balcony). So, if you love watching funny videos of stupid people trying to play ping pong…here ya go!